Be sure and check out my shop for a sweet summer sale!

Monday, February 9, 2009

I Spy a monkey!







Each year at Maleah's school, instead of selling candy or wrapping paper, they have an evening fundraiser. It involves dinner, a silent auction, a live auction, various items for sale and a quilt raffle. Last year, my mom made the quilt and donated it for the auction. She volunteered right away to do the quilt for this year also. While at the quilt festival in November, we got an idea! We saw a quilt called "I Spy". It had several octagons on it and they were all different. Embroidered all around was "I Spy...a cat, a dog, a bird," etc. I thought it would be perfect! So...a few weeks ago, I started going through my fabric stash and came up with about 1/3 of the squares we needed. (we decided to follow another pattern and do squares, 250 of them!) Then Mom came through with the rest. I found a few more pieces of fabric hidden away behind everything and that was a nice surprise. Well, Mom's off to AZ tomorrow for 2 weeks and we were bound and determined to get the quilt finished before she left. We laid it all out together, I sewed about 3 rows together, and Mom finished the quilt! I am taking it to the school today, but wanted to post some of the pictures! I think it's awesome. Maleah wants it in a bad way. She kept saying, I'm saving my money, I want that quilt. I had to explain how a raffle works and now she keeps asking if we'll just make one for her!
So if anyone would like to buy a chance, let me know. I will put your name in! Great job Mom!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW! looks awesome! (will you tell Nonna) she was telling me about this. I love you and miss all of you. Also I like your background to your blog....sassy. is it new?